Prof. Dr. Theo J. Bastiaens
Prof. Theo Bastiaens was a member of the research cluster until December 2018 and held the Chair of Media Didactics at the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences at the FernUniversität in Hagen. Since 2019, he is the rector of the Open University of the Netherlands.
His research focuses on questions of the central functions and formative influence of media in teaching and learning processes in an overarching context - for example, in the Research and Implementation of a Didactic Model for the Application of Social Software in Higher Education project, which researched possible applications of MOOCs, gamification, wiki competitions, social reading, etc. in distance learning with test groups of students from all faculties. Didactic models were tested directly in the distance-learning field and transferred to other subject areas.
Professor Bastiaens led the recently completed Universities of the Future- Challenges of Digitalization at Universities, Related Strategic Processes and Higher Education Policy project, which was funded by German Federal Ministry of Education and Research and had the goal of addressing the developments associated with digitalization from a variety of perspectives in order to continually reflect on the consequences of digitalization for the universities of the future.
- Rosar, M., Lipka, A., Weidlich, J. & Bastiaens, T. (2018). Do Creative Learners Prefer Inquiry-based Learning Instructions in Digital Education Programs?. International Journal on E-Learning, 17(1), 5-16. Waynesville, NC USA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE).
- Weidlich, J. & Bastiaens, Th. J. (2018). “Technology matters –The impact of transactional distance on satisfaction in online distance learning”. IRRODL (in press).
- Stokhof, H.J.M., De Vries, B., Bastiaens, T., & Martens R. (2018). Using Mind Maps to Make Student Questioning Effective: Learning Outcomes of a Principle-Based Scenario for Teacher Guidance. Research in Science Education. doi:10.1007/ s11165-017-9686-3
- Bovermann, K., Weidlich, J. & Bastiaens, T. (2018). Int J Educ Technol High Educ (15: 27. https://doi.org/10.1186/s41239-018-0107-0)
- Weidlich, J., & Bastiaens, T. J. (2017). Explaining social presence and the quality of online learning with the SIPS model. Computers in Human Behavior, 72, 479 – 487. DOI: 10.1016/j.chb.2017.03.016.