Univ.-Prof. Dr. Hans-Jörg Schmerer
|10/2001 - 09/2007||Student in International Economics - University of Tübingen|
|08/2003 - 09/2004||Visiting Student in Chinese Studies, University of Nanjing, China|
|09/2007 - 02/2008||Visiting Ph.D. Student - University of Nottingham|
|09/2007 - 02/2012||Ph.D. Programe in Economics - University of Tübingen -
Supervisors: Prof. Dr. Wilhelm Kohler and Prof. Ph.D. Gabriel Felbermayr
Research area: International Trade and Labor Economics
|10/2006 - 04/2007||Student Research Assistant at University of Tübingen, Department of Economics, Chair of "International Economics"|
|09/2007 - 07/2008||Student Research Assistant - University of Tübingen|
|11/2008 - 10/2010||Research Assistant - University of Hohenheim -
Department of Economics, Chair of "International Economics"
|07/2011 - present||Post doctoral Researcher - Institute for Employment Research (IAB)
"International Comparisons and European Integration"
|04/2013 - 03/2014||Interim Professor (full professor, W3) - University of Passau
Chair of "International Economics"
|04/2013 - 03/2014||Interim Professor (full professor, W3) - University of Duisburg-Essen
Chair of "East Asian Studies"
|09/2013 - 10/2013||Visiting Researcher - University of Xiamen, China|
11/2014 Offer of a full professorship at the Fernuniversität in Hagen
12/2014 Offer of a full professorship at the University of Duisburg-Essen
CESifo Research Network Affiliate
Awards and Scholarships
Baden Wuerttemberg Grant (Landesgraduiertenfoerderung), 04/2008
- "Globalization and Labor Market Outcomes: Wage Bargaining, Search Frictions, and Firm Heterogeneity", 2011, Journal of Economic Theory 146(1): p. 39-73, together with Gabriel Felbermayr and Julien Prat.
- "Trade and Unemployment: What do the Data Say?", 2011, European Economic Review 55(6): p. 741-758, together with Gabriel Felbermayr and Julien Prat.
- "Skill-biased Labor Market Reforms and International Competitiveness", 2012, Economics E-Journal Special Issue.
- "Dissecting the German Export Miracle: Plant-level Evidence", 2013, Economic Systems 33(3): p. 387-404, together with Daniel Etzel and Andreas Hauptmann.
- "Do Exporters Pay Fair-Wage-Premia?", 2013, Economics Letters 121(2): p. 179-182, together with Andreas Hauptmann.
- "Foreign Direct Investment and Search Unemployment: Theory and Some Evidence", 2013, International Review of Economics and Finance 30(March): p. 41-56.
- "International Trade and Collective Bargaining Outcomes: Evidence from German Employer-Employee Data", 2014, The Scandinavian Journal of Economics 116(3): p. 820-837, together with Gabriel Felbermayr and Andreas Hauptmann.
- "Trade and Unemployment Revisited: Do Institutions Matter?", 2015, The World Economy 38(7): p. 1037 - 1063, together with Stella Capuano.
- "The U.S. Finance Wage Premium Before and After the Financial Crisis: A Decomposition Exercise", 2014, Applied Economics Letters 21(16): p. 1144-1147, together with Stella Capuano and Tat Kei-Lai.
- "Trade and Unions: Can Exporters Benefit from Collective Bargaining?", 2015, CESifo WP 5096, together with Andreas Hauptmann and Stella Capuano.
- "Firm Performance and Trade with Low-Income Countries: Evidence from China", 2015, CESifo WP 4934, together with Luhang Wang.
- "Differences in the Degree of Unionization as a Source of Comparative Advantage in Open Economies", 2015, Canadian Journal of Economics 48(1), p. 245–272, together with Hartmut Egger and Frode Meland.
- "Exporters and Wage Inequality during the Great Recession - Evidence from Germany", 2015, Economics Letters 136, p. 137-140, together with Wolfgang Dauth and Erwin Winkler.
- "Trade and Labor Market Dynamics: What Do We Learn From the Data? ", 2016, Economics Letters 145, p. 206-209, together with Daniela Nordmeier and Enzo Weber.
- "Trade and the New Silk Road: Opportunities, Challenges, and Solutions", 2017, Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies 15(3), p. 205 - 213, together with Yuan Li.
- "Government Efficiency and Exports in China", 2017, Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies 15(3), p. 249- 268, together with Antonia Reinecke.
- "Redistribution, Trade and Corruption: An Empirical Assessment", 2018, Applied Economics 50(35-36), S. 3855-3869, together with Antonia Reinecke.
- "Trade and Unions: Does Size Matter?", 2019, Economic Modelling (accepted for publication), together with Andreas Hauptmann und Stella Capuano.
- "German Employment Legislation and Its Impact on the Trade and Labour Market Nexus", 2019, in Making Globalization More Inclusive: Lessons from Experience with Adjustment Policies, edited by Marc Bacchetta, Emmanuel Milet und José-Antonio Monteiro, World Trade Organisation, together with Antonia Reinecke.