What is my role within CATALPA?
As a cognitive and educational psychologist, I lead the junior research group Multimedia and conduct research on the various areas on multimedia learning and multitasking.
D²L² offers an interdisciplinary working environment, where I can find cooperation partners in different areas. It funds my junior research group, which extends my academic career.
- Junior Research Group Leader of the Research Group Multimedia at Research Cluster „Center of Advanced Technology Assisted Learning and Predictive Analytics“ (CATALPA) FernUniversität (since April 2021)
- Research assistant, FernUniversität in Hagen (2016-03.2021)
- Research assistant, University Koblenz-Landau (07.2015-12.2015)
- Ph. D. in Psychology, University of Koblenz Landau (2012-2015)
- M.A. in Linguistics, Translation Studies, Durham University, U.K. (2010-2012)
- B.A. in Linguistics, English Language, Henan University, China (2006-2010)
I am interested in various topics on multimedia learning: comprehension of texts and graphics, interactive learning with simulation, learning with videos, and exploration-exploitation dilemma in interactive learning. I am also interested in how people learn sequences under multitasking: basic sequence, timing sequence, complex hierarchical sequence like Origami folding.
- Zhao, F., Gaschler, R., Wagner, I., & Schnotz, W., (2022). Lower grade students tend to give up early in multimedia learning. European Journal of Psychology of Education. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10212-022-00612-1
- Zhao, F., & Gaschler, R. (2021). Best graph type to compare discrete groups: bar, dot, tally. Frontiers in Psychology. 12:775721. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2021.775721
- Zhao, F. (2021). The visibility of the interviewer can affect learning with interview videos. E-learning & Digital Media. 1-17. https://doi.org/10.1177/2042753021995312
- Zhao, F., Gaschler, R., Schnotz, W., & Wagner, I. (2020). Regulating distance to the screen while engaging in difficult tasks. Frontline Learning Research, 8(6), 59-76. https://doi.org/10.3758/s13421-019-00962-0
- Zhao, F., Schnotz,W., Wagner, I. & Gaschler, R. (2020). Eyes on text and pictures – construction and adaptation of mental models. Memory & Cognition, 48(1), 69-82. https://doi.org/10.3758/s13421-019-00962-0
- Zhao, F., Schnotz, W., Wagner, I. & Gaschler, R. (2014). Eye tracking indicators of reading approaches in text-picture comprehension. Frontline Learning Research, 2(4), 46–66. https://doi.org/10.14786/flr.v2i4.98